Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Ripoffs and rip-ons

Most mornings, I ride a van to work with a bunch of my co-workers who like to read car magazines or sleep or just stare out the window like soulless cogs in the corporate clockwork. They are mostly good people, with the exception of the guy who drives the van. He is a vanpool Nazi. The monthly fee for August is $24, but for some reason this fee cannot be prorated, and since I have ridden exactly one time this month, this cat is trying to extract $24 from me for one trip to Sanford. HERE IS A FACT: If he thinks he's gonna get it out of me he is a DAMN FOOL.

---

A lot of people like watching COPS but I don't really because I find it very depressing that there are so many people on there who apparently sell their shirts and teeth for crack and mullets. Don't the cops ever arrest anybody even remotely normal?! How about cracking down on some white collar crime, pigs?

---

I am putting things in bold today for emphasis! Please let me know how you like this stylistic change! Also, what do you think about fat chicks? Not my bag, personally!

---

I haven't eaten enough dried meats lately. No jerky, no chipped beef, no air-cured Italian salamis. You have no idea of the extent to which I feel I have let myself down with this failure.

---

On the brighter side of food, here is today's LUNCH REPORT: Went out to Sanford's one and only Chinese buffet for lunch today. Not as good as RTP's Mr. Wok overall, but the fried plantains were full of flavor, and some they had some bizarre dish coated in sesame seeds and very dark-colored bread crumbs that they called peanut butter chicken, which turned out to be excellent. The coconut chicken was also pretty good--tempura chicken in some kind of thick, sweet coconut sauce. It was almost like a dessert. The whole thing was only like 6 bucks, too. I swear though, I wish these buffets would just feature fewer dishes and use higher quality meat. That is how you keep the people coming back. Maybe after our bar/concert venue opens up I will move on to revolutionizing the Chinese buffet market.

The weird thing is that my boss and our co-worker got some seriously morbid fortune cookies, which I have never seen before except on Rocko's Modern Life. One was something like "Life is full of disappointments. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." and the other was "Today will be a day of disaster. Attend to practical matters." Attend to practical matters? That seems more than a little ominous to me.

Mine was pretty boring and stupid, something about how "work is difficult but it is better to work than to beg." Not an outright death sentence like those other fortunes, but still not really a happy one. All in all, despite the few good dishes, the Sanford Chinese buffet is a total downer.

This wasn't really the brighter side of food after all, sorry everybody :(

No comments: